The Nurse Practice Act of New Jersey prohibits nurses from giving prescription or over-the-counter medication without a doctor’s order. Medication will be given in school only when a pupil’s health and continuing attendance in school requires it and it is administered in accordance with the medication policy. Parents/Guardians are required to submit information and medication as indicated below:
- All medications, prescription and over the counter, must be accompanied by a written request from a physician or advanced practice nurse. These orders must include the diagnosis or type of illness, name of drug, dosage, time of administration, length of time for which it is required, the side effects, interactions with other drugs and activity restrictions based on the medication. Written orders must be renewed each school year.
- The parent or guardian must also sign the appropriate medication form giving parental permission for medication to be administered.
- Medications must be brought to the school nurse by the pupil’s parent or guardian in the original labeled container unless prior arrangements have been made.
- For routine daily or “as needed” medication or if you anticipate that a doctor visit will result in medication which needs to be taken in school, please download and complete the Daily/PRN Medication Form.
- The school physician has written a standing order for students to receive ibuprofen, acetaminophen and/or cough drops. All that is required for your child to be allowed to receive any or all of these at school is for parent or guardian to download, complete and sign the Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen/Cough Drop Form.
- Administration of epinephrine and self-administration of asthma medication or other potentially life-threatening illnesses require additional doctor and parent signatures on the forms. Please complete appropriate forms in Asthma and Food Allergy Sections on the Health Office Forms page.
Parents/Guardians must pick up all medication on the last day of school from the school nurse. Remaining medication will be discarded.